Monday, April 25, 2011

Lent in Review

Hope everyone is enjoying Easter Monday!

This year for Lent, I gave up several things:
 Fast food

Candy

... and the F word.

Lent as PZ understands it:  We sacrifice to recognize the ultimate sacrifice that was made for us.  However, I believe that we also make sacrifices to better ourselves, whether that be physically, mentally, spiritually... God wants us taking care of our bodies and minds, and Lent is a great way to work on that, as well as give thanks for the life of His only son.

Lenten sidenotes:
  • I know that Sundays aren't included in the 40 days of lent, but I try not to indulge then either.  
  • I give this year's Lenten effort a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.  Nothing to brag about.  While honoring God and the church by making sacrifices should be motivation enough for me not to cheat, apparently I need a little more help...

Last night at Easter Mass when the collection basket came to me, I realized that I didn't have any cash, as usual.  Then I had an idea. Next year, my sacrifices will have a dollar amount attached.  When I cheat on one, the corresponding dollar amount goes in a jar. For example...

Fast food = $20 per cheat.  As I see it, this one is pretty easy to avoid.
Candy = $5 per cheat.  This is also easy to avoid, but I should have counted "after dinner treats" from restaurants.
F word = $1 per cheat.  Considering this is pretty much my favorite word in the English language, this is a HUGE fee.

This year would have looked something like this...

 Lent 2011 total:
(Also, I think if alcohol is the cause of my cheating, my fine should be doubled.)
$120(YIKES!)
+

$20 (at least)
+
$100 (given my alcohol-induced cheating rule)
=
$240 big ones for the Big Guy

I think the Newman Center would have been VERY thankful.

How did Lent go for you??

1 comment:

Christine said...

Peppermints DO Not count as candy! I gave up Starbucks... and tried to go to mass every Sunday... made it twice. Fail.