Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pie in a Jar

Last weekend, I hosted a couple's shower for my friends Hallie and Chase who are getting married in November.  I love a good old fashion cookout, but due to busy schedules, I couldn't quite make it happen.  So I did the next best thing and picked up BBQ from Albert G's.  (If you like potato salad, even just a little bit, you should probably head straight there for dinner tonight.)  We had enough food to feed an army, but I made sure there was something sweet to top it off.

Pie in a Jar: So easy, even Patti can do it!

1) Buy canning jars.  If you can find the short ones, those will be best.  I could not and bought the regular-sized mason jars instead and filled them half(ish) full. (Find them at Reasor's in 12 packs.)
2) Buy Pillsbury crust, because there is no such crust in the world that is better.  Not even when Oma makes it from scratch.
3) Make/buy pie filling of any variety.

4) Take the lid of the jar and cut out a circle in the pie crust to be used as a "pie topper".
5) Smoosh the crust along the bottom and sides of jar.
6) Fill jar with filling.
7) Place "pie topper" on top.
8) Freeze with lid on or cook with lid off (375 for 45 minutes; frozen pies take 55 minutes).
9) Enjoy!

No comments: